Shopify discount codes are fully supported with subscriptions. They can be configured to apply to one, or multiple payments or invoices. You can manage discount codes from your Shopify account. In this example, we will create a new discount code, but you can also edit your existing codes to set them to work with subscriptions.
There are tons of different options and settings for discounts in Shopify. You can learn more about them here. In this guide, we are going to set up a free shipping option just for subscriptions.
- Navigate to the discount page in Shopify and click "Create discount"
- Select the discount code option.
Note: At this time Shopify doesn't support automatic discounts with subscriptions. The discount code will have to be entered at checkout.
- Give the discount a title and select the appropriate type. Here we selected free shipping and subscriptions only:
- A bit lower on the page, you can set the recurring options for the discount code, then click save.
You can have it apply to just the first payment, every payment, or a fixed number of payments. We selected 'all recurring payments', so the customer will get free shipping on that subscription for as long as they stay subscribed. We also didn't set a usage limit. This way if the customer adds more subscriptions they can use this code on those purchases as well.
- This part is completely optional, but we are going to edit the subscription plan to tell the customer about the promo code.
This way the customer sees the discount code on the product page when they select the subscription:
- Getting started with the NEW (2020) PayWhirl Shopify app
- How to attach a subscription to a Shopify Product
- How to configure a Selling Plan Group (2020)
- Need help customizing PayWhirl?
Please let us know if you have any questions.
The PayWhirl Team