If you install the PayWhirl customer portal into your theme and enable customer accounts in Shopify, your customers will be able to manage their own subscriptions.
Customer Portal Features (as of February 2021)
- Customers can cancel subscriptions
- Customers can pause subscriptions
- Customers can skip payments
- Customers can make payments early
- Customers can update their payment methods on file
- Customers can update their shipping addresses
Many of these features can be toggled on/off from the settings page in PayWhirl if you'd prefer. For example, you can disable customers' ability to cancel on their own so they must contact you before making changes.
When a customer logs in to your website using their account credentials, they can click the Subscriptions link to view their subscription details from the My Account page of your theme.
If you are not seeing the subscription link, please make sure you have completed step 7 of the theme installation, or reach out to our team and we'll make sure it's configured properly so customers can access their subscriptions in Shopify.
The main subscription view contains the basic details of each subscription the customer has purchased. Customers can view more information and manage a specific subscription by clicking on the Subscription ID.
From the subscription details page, customers can pause, cancel and skip their subscription. They also can update their payment method and shipping address.
Notes on Subscription Purchases with Shopify Checkout
When customers go through the Shopify checkout with a subscription they are required by Shopify to agree to the subscription terms. They will also see the frequency and an estimate of their recurring charges.
The recurring total estimate is calculated by Shopify and does not include tax, duties, or any applicable discounts. The checkbox is also a Shopify requirement and cannot be disabled.
Customers can enter any Shopify discount codes that apply to subscription products and these can be configured in Shopify. Discount codes applied at checkout will be in addition to any discounts you have configured in your PayWhirl selling plans.
Most of the subscription text on the checkout page can be customized from Shopify's language editor.
After checkout, you can display a link for customers to manage their subscriptions.
You can toggle the manage subscription link on/off from the PayWhirl settings page.
If you want customers to be able to log in and manage their own accounts, they will need to have a Shopify customer account. You can toggle this option in the Shopify Checkout settings to either optional or required to ensure customers can log in to your site and manage their subscriptions.
- If you set accounts to required in Shopify, customers will have to register an account at checkout. This will ensure they will be able to log into your website after purchases are made.
- If you sent accounts to optional in Shopify, customers will have the option to checkout as a guest. This means they might not have the necessary login credentials to access their subscriptions unless they return and create an account at a later date.
If you allow customers to checkout as guests, we recommend sending out the account invite email from Shopify to ensure your subscribers will be able to access their subscriptions if necessary.
- How to manage PayWhirl subscriptions in Shopify
- Getting started with the NEW (2020) PayWhirl Shopify app
- How to configure a Selling Plan Group (2020)
- Need help customizing PayWhirl?
If you have any questions, please reach out to our support team. We're happy to help.